The History of Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park is nestled on 64 hectares (158 acres) of wooded parkland along Edmonton’s River Valley. What began as a Canada Centennial project in 1967 to reconstruct the old Fort Edmonton, quickly grew to encompass much more. Thanks to the dedicated efforts of the Rotary Club of Edmonton and the Fort Edmonton Foundation, the Park now includes the 1846 Hudson’s Bay Fort as well as the Streets of 1885, 1905, and 1920, depicting the evolution of Edmonton’s early history. Fort Edmonton Park is owned by the City of Edmonton and operated by the Fort Edmonton Management Company.
Master Plan Updates
In November 2009, representatives of the Fort Edmonton Management Company Board of Directors, the Fort Edmonton Foundation and Fort Edmonton Park and City staff worked with an international attractions consulting firm to develop an updated vision for Fort Edmonton Park and a plan to achieve that vision. A research company was then engaged to conduct a thorough consultation on the plan’s recommendations.
Based on the feedback received, the Fort Edmonton Management Company Board of Directors accepted the substance of the consultant’s recommendations and revised some of the specific proposals for enhancements to interpretive programming and exhibit approaches. The resulting Master Plan Update includes:
- A clear commitment to historical and cultural integrity, including a commitment to retain Fort Edmonton Park’s status as a recognized museum by the Alberta Museum Association.
- An increased emphasis on bringing Edmonton’s history to life through sound research by historians and curators and by increasing opportunities for visitors to interact with knowledgeable, well-trained interpreters.
- Ensuring technology is used to complement, not drive, storytelling.
- Revision to some proposed capital projects. For example, the Wilderness Waters attractions were removed and replaced with an Attractions Zone that will be further explored within the objectives of historical and cultural integrity.
The Master Plan Update for Fort Edmonton Park was subsequently approved by Edmonton City Council in mid May, 2010.
Fort Edmonton Management Company
Fort Edmonton Park is operated by the Fort Edmonton Management Company on behalf of the City of Edmonton, which owns the buildings, artifacts, and land associated with the attraction. The Fort Edmonton Foundation fundraises to support the Park’s capital development.
|Ex Officio||Roger Jevne|
|President and CEO||Darren Dalgleish|